Friday, June 25, 2010

Oats Dosa

Knowing the health benefits of oats in our diet, I frequently buy instant oatmeal boxes from Costco that serves up a quick breakfast on some busy mornings when I don’t have time to prepare hot breakfast. However, we always finish up the flavored packets but the original ones invariably get left behind ..like we have both made up our minds to not eat those. I used a packet of the original oats in these Healthy Laddoos recently but still have few more packets left that I wanted to use up before the "Best If Used By" date.

Since I never get bored from eating dosas at home or even in restaurants, I thought of putting these oat packets to good use by making oats dosa for dinner last week. The inspiration for this dosa comes from this Blog but I made a few changes to the original recipe. I believe there is something in the oats that aids in the fermentation process because the batter fermented really well and the dosas were very light and crispy. Besides, the addition of oats makes these dosas very healthy. I actually made a masala oats dosa by spreading some potato masala on the dosa. Served it with this delicious Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney and Doodhi Methi sambar for an extremely satisfying weeknight dinner.


Ingredients -
1/2 cup regular rice
1/2 cup boiled rice/ ukda tandool
1/2 cup urad dal
4 instant oatmeal packets (@ 11/2 cups)
1 tsp methi/ fenugreek seeds
1/4 cup cooked rice
salt to taste

Method -
1. Soak the rice and urad dal and methi seeds separately in water overnight or 5-6 hrs.
2. Soak oats in water @ 30 -40 mins  before grinding.
2. Grind everything to a smooth paste along with the cooked rice like regular dosa batter.
3. Mix the batter well and leave it in a warm place for fermentation. 
4. Add salt to the fermented batter.
5. Heat your dosa pan/ griddle and grease it with some oil when hot.
6. Pour the dosa batter on the pan with the help of your ladle and spread it in circular motion starting from the center to form a thin dosa.
7. Put some oil on and around the edges of the dosa and cook the dosa until golden brown.




This is another entry for Nupur's 'BB4- What's Lurking in the kitchen' event. I'm truly grateful to Nupur for hosting this great event. By participating in this event, I not only discovered some great blogs but also used up many ingredients lurking in my kitchen by trying out new recipes. Though I was only able to send in a few entries (that met all the requirements), I certainly used up quite a few ingredients from my pantry that were nearing the expiry date.

11 comments:

Nupur said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this event- it is nice to clean up the pantry, isn't it? Oats dosa looks fantastic!

Satya said...

hi rachana,
first visit to ur blog ....ur space very neat n beautiful ....u have a wonderful collection of recipes...
oats dosa looks wonderful and healthy ....nice presentation which makes it more tempting ...

Rachana said...

Nupur - Thanks!

Satya - Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the Oats Dosa. Do give it a try.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks crispy dosa...nice

Astra Libris said...

I love your ingenuity in using the oat packets! These look beautiful, and so healthful too!

Rachana said...

I love oats and I love dosas... I would defintely love these oats dosa :-) Awesome!

Rachnaa said...

Vanamala - Thanks!

Astra - Thank You for visiting my blog and for your kind words!

Rachana - I love oats and dosas too. Good to know we have other things in common besides the name :-)

Anonymous said...

Very unusual recipe and healthy too. Will be making these pretty soon.

Shilpa

NIDHYA said...

Hello, first time visiting. Oats Dosa looks mouthwatering and would love to try it. Nice to follow you.

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. Tried and it came out really good. Thanks! btw,just a tip, I bought the quaker old fashioned oats bag which is much much less expensive than the flavoured ready oat packets. Give it a try!

udnis said...

Really appealing dishes. Oats as you say is resting in my cabinet too. So to make use of it. So also your Beetroot Cutney as it's too crying to take out from the fridge. Thanks and expecting many more to fill appetite.