Sunday, January 23, 2011

School Bus Cake, Cupcakes and Cookies

I'm really surprised how quickly time has passed by. It seems like only yesterday we got our little bundle of joy home from the hospital. My little angel turned two a couple of months back. We threw a small birthday party for her at home. Since she loves the song "The Wheels On The Bus Go Round and Round", I made a bus cake for her. They also celebrated her birthday at her Daycare. Keeping the same theme in mind, I made some bus themed cupcakes and little bus cookies for her friends at the Daycare. I think the cake turned out pretty good though I missed out on a few details :(.
The inspiration for the cake, cupcakes and the cookies comes from different places on the web. I have included some of the links below.  I had lot of fun making these and I am very happy to share this with all of you.

SCHOOL BUS CAKE
I used 1 Betty Crocker yellow cake mix to bake two 9x5 cakes in the loaf pan. I used Wilton Butter cream frosting and icing colors to make the yellow, black and red frosting. The wheels on the bus were made from mini chocolate donuts and M&Ms were used for the headlights and other details. Mini Nilla wafers cookies were used for the faces of the bus driver and the kids while black licorice flavored Twizzlers were used to represent the front bumper of the bus. I forgot the stop sign but you could use a Mini Nilla wafer  topped with red and white icing for the stop sign.




SCHOOL BUS CUPCAKES
These cute bus themed cupcakes were very easy to decorate. Once again I used a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and baked 24 cupcakes. I frosted the lower half of the cupcake green for the grass and the upper half was frosted in blue butter cream to form the sky. Then, all you need is a vanilla wafer cookie to cut out the bus shape and a mini M&M to create the stop sign.




SCHOOL BUS COOKIES
The bus themed no bake cookies were only a decorating project. I used plain graham crackers, yellow, black and white butter cream frosting and M&M candies to decorate these adorable cookies. I used one graham cracker square, with one rectangular (quarter of entire graham cracker) for the front and used royal icing to stick the 2 pieces together. Then I decorated the bus as shown in the pictures.
 


LINKS -
http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/school-bus-cake.html#c2
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/school-bus-cupcakes-685475/

14 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, cake,cupcakes and cookies looks pretty,adorable and damn cute..

Aruna Manikandan said...

simply superb :)
and my B"DAY Wishes to ur sweet angel:)

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

These are really rather cool.

And 3 types of decorated cakes / cookies! I love them!

kitchen queen said...

very artistic and beautiful presentation.

Sumi said...

Wow, such a beautiful cake. School bus seems like a wonderfu l idea, Iam sure your kid must have had loads of fun.

AJ said...

Beautiful cake and cookies - what a great job!!

My Saffron Kitchen said...

They all look so good....great work!!

Rachana said...

Thank You friends for your kind and encouraging words!

notyet100 said...

so cute i am inspired,..;-)

Preeti said...

just stumbled upon your site.....love it....will keep visiting

Unknown said...

hi

You are so creative. Your cakes are so appealing, esp to kids.

I got to try your school bus cake.

Chitra

Laura Beth said...

Thanks for the back to school inspiration! I'm featuring at Blogland's Fabulous Friday Finds :)

Pradnya Rakesh said...

Hi Rachna..my son loves wheels on the bus song too!! It's his mantra:) adorable presentation!!
I want to try the cupcakes. Please let me know how you carried the cupcakes to class?
Also were the wheels also of m&m's?? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great web site. A lot of helpful info here. I amm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.

Annd obviously, thanks ffor your effort!