I agree the word "Jhatpat" and "Biryani" don’t go together. But this biryani is relatively easy to make and less complicated than the traditional Kachhi/ Dum biryani. I saw this on some cooking show and modified the recipe slightly to suit our palate. This biryani turned out to be delicious and is a perfect dish to make on those days when you are really busy but want to eat something special. I served it with some yogurt raita.
1/2 kg chicken (5-6 big pieces)
2 cups basmati rice
1 potato (sliced and deep fried like fries)
1 cup yogurt
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup fried onions (sliced and deep fried to golden brown color)
(Note - 3 tbsp fried onions to be crushed into the marinate)
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp Masala #1 (Grind equal quantities of cloves, cinnamon and whole black pepper into a coarse powder. Do not roast the spices)
2 tsp Masala # 2 (Any home made Garam Masala or store bought one will work)
2 tsp cumin -coriander powder
6-8 cinnamon pieces
6-8 whole black pepper
4 -6 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ginger- garlic paste
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp fried cashewnuts
salt to taste
1. For Rice Preparation - Rice can be cooked in the rice cooker. If cooked outside, the rice should be slightly undercooked. Divide the cooked rice into three equal portions. Add a pinch of red bush food color/ tandoori color to one rice portion. Mix a pinch of turmeric in 2 tbsp of milk and add this to the second rice portion. Leave the third rice portion white. If you choose to use the rice as is, it will not affect the taste of the biryani. So this step is optional.
For Chicken Marination - Mix yogurt, salt, Masala# 1, ginger- garlic paste and crushed fried onions (@ 3 tbsp) in a bowl. Marinate the chicken pieces in this mixture for 2 hrs.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add whole garam masala (cloves, cinnamom and whole black pepper) and cumin seeds in it.
3. When the cumin seeds splutter, add finely chopped onions and fry them for sometime.
4. Now add marinated chicken and mix well. Cover the pan and cook the chicken.
5. Once the chicken is completely cooked, add turmeric, red chilli powder, Masala # 2, cumin- coriander powder and salt and mix well.
6. Add the cooked rice in to the chicken and mix together.
7. Add in fried potatoes, fried onions and cashewnuts.
8. Add some chopped cilantro and cook the biryani covered for 15- 20 mins.
9. Garnish with more cilantro and serve with yogurt raita.