'Bharlelya Kandyachi Bhaji' is a traditional Maharashtrian dish in which small white onions are stuffed with a sweet and spicy coconut masala. The onions truly shine like a star on their own in this dish with coconut and the goda masala (Mahrashtrian garam masala) being the key ingredients. This extremely flavorful curry goes very well with bhakris, chapatis or even plain dal- rice. This masala can also be used to stuff other veggies such as baby eggplants, potatoes, okras or ivy gourds.
4 small white onions
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp hing/ asafoetida
2 tbsps goda masala/ garam masala
1 tbsp grated jaggery
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
salt to taste
1. Peel the onions and make one vertical and one horizontal slit in the onions taking care not to go all the way through as shown in the picture below.
2. In a bowl, take grated coconut, chopped cilantro, goda/ garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, jaggery and mix well.
3. Stuff the coconut masala very gently into the onions without breaking them. Save the remaining masala for the gravy.
4. Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds
5. When the mustard seeds splutter, add hing/ asafoetida and turmeric.
6. Add the stuffed onions and mix gently. Cover the pan and cook the onions for 7-10 mins turning them occasionally.
7. Add about 3/4 cup of water and remaining masala. Cover and cook for sometime till onions are cooked well.
This goes to Healing Foods -Onions event hosted by Priya for the month of June and started by Siri of Siri's Corner. I'm also sending this to Think Spice - Think Garam Masala event hosted by Sara's Corner for the month of June and started by Sunita of Sunita's World.