This is a traditional coastal Maharashtrian masala paste which is used in many authentic veg and non- veg dishes. This masala can be stored in the freezer for more than a month.
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup dried grated coconut
6 -8 peppercorns
6-8 cinnamon pieces
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1-2 tbsps oil
1. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds and roast it on very low heat for sometime till you starting getting a nice aroma of these spices.
2. Add poppy seeds and roast for sometime. Then add sliced onions and fry till the onions turn golden brown.
3. Add the dried coconut and roast till the coconut turns golden brown.
4. Cool the mixture and grind it into a smooth paste with very little water in your blender.
5. This masala can be stored in the freezer for more than a month .