This is a cake that I baked for Swara's 15th month B'day…just didn’t get around to posting it. I'm planning to celebrate her quarterly B'days this year. For her 15th month B'day , I was looking for a coffee flavored cake when I came across this Coffee Butter Cake on Deeba's Blog. I loved this simple recipe and also the idea of decorating it with some chocolate ganache and topping it with sliced almonds. The cake came out really good but I accidently left it in the oven a little longer so it was a little dry. I fixed it by brushing it with some warm coffee syrup (1/2 cup hot water + 1 tbsp instant coffee powder) which made it very moist and delicious. A slice of this cake with morning coffee will certainly wake you up!
The cake is baked in a 9 cups bundt pan.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tbsp instant coffee (You may change the proportions to suit your taste)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 pinches salt
180 gms melted butter (I used 1 3/4 stick butter)
6 tbsps heavy cream (I used Half & Half)
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2-3 tbsp heavy cream
Slivered almonds for garnish
1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and coffee
2. In another bowl, add eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract and cream and beat this together until smooth.
3. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Grease the baking pan and dust some flour on it.
5. Pour the batter in the greased pan.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the cake for 35- 40 mins. Cool the cake.
7. Melt the chocolate chips with 2-3 tbsp of heavy cream in the microwave.
8. Gently pour this chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and sprinkle slivered almonds.