It has been my long time dream to master the art of baking and cake decorating. Though, I'm miles away from becoming an expert, I have certainly made good progress in the last few months. It all started when my baby turned 1 month old and we decided to celebrate her birthday every month for the first year. This gave me an excellent opportunity to try out new recipes and take a step towards improving my baking skills. In this section, I plan to post recipes of all my baked goods.
The first ever cake I baked from scratch was a Eggless Dates and Walnut Cake. This cake does not require any fancy kitchen tools. All you need is a mixing bowl and a whisk and of course the ingredients.
Recipe Source: Show Me The Curry
Dates - 20 (5oz or 150g)
Water - approx 1/2 cup, for soaking
Walnuts - 1/4 cup (30 g), chopped
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 14oz can (396g)
Unsalted Butter - 1 stick (4oz or 113g)
Baking Soda - 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
All-purpose Flour - 1 1/4 cups (183 g)
1. Soak the Dates in warm water for about 30 minutes just to soften them.
2. Sift the All Purpose Flour along with the Baking Powder and the Baking Soda.
3. Press down on any lumps.
4. Make a paste of the Dates using as little water as possible either in a blender or a food processor.
5. Melt the butter so it is soft and mix it to the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda & baking powder).
6. Mix in the Dates paste and the Sweetened Condensed Milk. Mix well.
7. Fold in the Walnuts as well.
8. Spray/Grease a baking pan and pour the batter into it.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven (180 degrees C/350 degrees F) for 40 minutes in the center of the oven.
10. Once done, take the cake out and allow it to stand for 5 minutes before taking it out of the pan.
11. Loosen the edges and flip the cake onto a cooling rack.
12. Serve hot or cold.